Did you know that you could be damaging your teeth while you sleep? This condition, referred to as bruxism, is the result of grinding and gnashing your teeth as you sleep, which over time can seriously damage your teeth and gums. The difficulty with bruxism is that it is often hard to know you suffer from it because it takes place while you sleep and the symptoms can be easily attributed to other disorders. If you are unsure where to start, always begin by checking if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
– Have you ever been told that you snore or grind and clench your teeth loudly?
– Do you have teeth that look flattened or chipped and loose?
– Is your tooth enamel worn down leading to an increase in tooth sensitivity?
– Do you ever experience jaw pain or soreness when you wake up?
– Do you have any damage to the insides of your cheeks from unconsciously chewing on them through the night?
– Have you been diagnosed with sleep apnea or TMJ?
– Do you ever have pain that feels like an earache, but it’s not caused by your ear?
– Do you have any indentations on your tongue?
– Do you have a locked jaw that won’t open or close completely?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be at an increased risk for bruxism. Our team is here to help you with all your oral health needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. Mark Osenieks and our team at our dentist office in Grand Rapids, Michigan, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at (616) 453-0002. We look forward to helping you smile.